Monday- 7th August 2017
- SEBI has presented at least half a dozen angel firms with notices within one and a half month, asking them to spell out details of their fund-raising business and explain whether they operate within the contours of the securities market law.
- InCred Finance, backed by former Deutsche Bank co-CEO Anshu Jain, is competing with US private equity giant Warburg Pincus and Aion Capital for a controlling stake in Catholic Syrian Bank
- SoftBank founder Masayoshi Son said that the Tokyo-headquartered conglomerate remains “engaged“ with Flipkart, despite its recent failed attempts to acquire Snapdeal.
- The SEBI has given approval to the merger between Idea Cellular and Vodafone India subjected to the regulator’s ongoing probe and approvals from public shareholders and the NCLT.
Tuesday- 8th August 2017
- Sensex declined 0.8% to 32,014 points and nifty declined by 0.78% to 9,978 points as SEBI announced that investigations will be launched against 331 suspected shell companies and that trading will be severely restricted in those that are listed.
- Trai to begin a consultation process to address the issues of ownership, privacy and security of data which flows through the network of telcos. At the end of the process, Trai will issue recommendations to the telecom department which will take a final decision on implementation.
- Bharti Airtel has raised ₹2,570 crore by selling 3.65% stake in its tower unit to a clutch of global investors, including Fidelity International. The proceeds to be used to pare debt and stay aggressive in the price war.
Wednesday- 9th August 2017
- Tata Motors posted a 42% increase in first-quarter consolidated net profit to ₹3,200 crores owing to one time gain on account of changes to the automaker’s pension benefit plans masking a poor operational performance.
- Reliance Communications to hold its board meeting on 12th August 2017 to review matters regarding the proposed merger with Aircel and look into the conversion of debt to equity shares.
- Jindal Steel and Power reported a 33% increase in consolidated operating profit on a YoY basis to ₹1,350 crores owing to strong performance of power division.
- State-run lender Bank of India has recalled a ₹306-crore loan given to HDIL subsidiary Privilege Power and Infrastructure. This comes after Union Bank dragged group firm Guruashish Construction to the NCLT.
Thursday- 10th August 2017
- SoftBank has bought a fifth of India’s most valuable startup -Flipkart -for an amount of $2.5 billion, in a deal that marks the biggest private investment in the country’s consumer technology sector.
- Midcap and smallcap stocks fell the most in nine months as sentiments soured due to escalating geopolitical tensions between the US and North Korea. Sensex closed at 31,531 points and Nifty closed at 9,820 points.
- Gopal Vittal, MD and CEO (India & South Asia) of Bharti Airtel sold 1.21 lakh shares in the telco to a promoter firm for around ₹5 crore at ₹416.05 per share.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) slashed the surplus it transfers to the government by more than half amid speculation that government’s demonetization move imposed a cost on the regulator. It would transfer ₹30,659 crore to the treasury, down from ₹65,876 crore a year earlier.
Friday- 11th August 2017
- Amidst escalating tensions between US and North Korea, the market took a fall for the 5th consecutive day. The Sensex ended down 317.74 points, or 1%, at 31,213.59 and the Nifty lost 109.45 points, or 1.1%, to close at 9,710.80.
- Tata Steel signed an agreement on segregating the company’s UK business from its pension scheme. This can possibly lead to a merger with ThyssenKrupp AG of Germany.
- Hike Messenger has acquired Creo, a Bengaluru-based technology startup for an undisclosed amount.
Source: The Economic Times